Tuesday, June 26, 2012

City of Dil ; Delhi

Recently I was in Delhi to attempt an examination. This was my second visit to Delhi. The first being only for changing flights. This time I wanted to experience at least a little of what this vast, ancient, metropolis had to offer. So I went 3 days prior to the examination to explore the city. Anyway this article is not a travelogue of Delhi, Its just my impression of Delhi and its people.

Even though it was 10.30 PM when I stepped out of the Airbus 320 aircraft the heat was unbearable. June is the hottest time of the year in Delhi; perhaps not an ideal time to visit. My high school friend Ashutosh received me from the world class IGI airport. It was difficult to find an auto that late and the pre-paid taxi service was too expensive. Finally we managed to find an auto. But soon an argument broke out between Ashustosh's father and the auto-driver over the rate he was going to charge. After a couple of minutes they agreed on a rate and we got in. The atmosphere in the auto was still enraged as there were still petty arguments going on about the route the driver was going to take. As we were waiting for the green light in a traffic junction an accident took place across the road. Two young men stepped out from the driving seats of their respective cars and any one passing by would say that an entertaining fight is about to start. But unfortunately our auto didn't wait for the fight as the light turned green. As my journey in the cramped CNG fueled auto continued the spontaneity of this place flummoxed me. The first 10 mins in our nation's capital taught me one thing ' You better be careful here boy, you can get into trouble here with out even you knowing.Its a very cheeky place.'
Ashutosh soaked his hand kerchief  in cold water and tied it to his head
to battle the heat. A pic from the Red Fort .

 Now one thing I noticed about the CNG fueled autos in Delhi is that from the sound of acceleration you would feel that the we are at our maximum speed and the auto is racing ahead. But actually when we look outside one would realize that auto is moving like city tram, at a constant slow pace.

So after the long 15 mins in auto we reached Ashutosh's home where I was about stay for they next 4 days. As  I got off the Auto Ashutosh's dad and the auto driver, who were like snake ad mongoose all the way, were talking like companions. Ashutosh's dad was insisting that driver should have at least a glass of water from his home. After all it was a really hot night and he did a good work. I was baffled by the turn of events. How easily two complete strangers were annoyed by each other, and how easily those two 'enemies' turned brothers.

The next morning I and Ashutosh decided to explore the majestic Red Fort the 17th century heritage complex which was the heart of the Mughal Empire. It took about 1hr to reach our destination by the DTC bus service. The sun was blazing above our head by the time we reached Red Fort. The Red Fort complex has a small souvenir market at the entrance and half a dozen of important buildings. Since I am not writing a travelogue i am not going into the details. Anyway the scorching heat didn't allow me to experience the beauty of the premise. After spending 2hrs strolling the 254 acres complex, taking photographs and viewing the exhibits in the museums, I was so tired that I lost the desire of sight seeing. The next hour passed as we had a North Indian thali as our lunch. The 43C heat started to kill me again when we got out of the A/C restaurant. Ashutosh started to inquire about the bus we should be taking back home to a roadside 'water vendor.'

A Typical 'water vendor' in Delhi
That's right. In almost every bus stop and other public places along the broad streets of Delhi you can see 'water vendors' who sell water for at a rate of 1Rupee per glass. I guess that would make a good business in these summer months.

Although the 'water vendor' looked like a delinquent in his stained clothes, Ashutosh didn't hesitate even once to inquire. Ashutosh spoke in a refined polite Hindi, then came the reply in a plain Hindi. But the man sounded very innocent and polite in his voice, even though literally his words were plain. A tall man with a good physique who was drinking water from there interrupted the conversation. He said that he was also going to the same direction and he could drop us in his car. Although we were complete strangers he talked like we were close friends. Ashutosh gave me a confused look. After all getting into his car was not a good idea in a city of infamous kidnappings. I assessed the situation. There was only one man. The streets are busy and you can see through the window glasses of the car. I nodded and said lets go. Its always better to travel in an A/C car rather walking in the scorching heat and changing buses.


As our blue Alto car started to move through the undisciplined traffic the man introduced himself as a crime branch officer in Delhi police. We also introduced our selves. And thus he began his chatter; about how he used to make car races with his friends; the rendezvouses he had with his girlfriend at Red Fort; his college days; how he got into police department; his family.. anything and everything. He was quite friendly and talkative. He was glad that he found us because other wise driving would have been boring, now he has somebody to talk with. He dropped us near Ashutosh's home adding 'If you get into any trouble just come to crime branch office.' 

Next two days I spent visiting India Gate and Qutab Minar. On my 4 hr flight back home I was recollecting the everlasting memories that Delhi had gifted me. I think people of Delhi are quite amiable. When you talk to a stranger in the streets of Delhi, they may not be talking in the most refined of words, but they talk straight from heart. Delhi is called 'Dilli' in hindi and 'Dil' in Hindi means heart. Ashutosh's father told me one night 'Dilli' is the city where you will find people with good hearts. I found people from all parts of India in Delhi contributing to its cosmopolitan culture. But they all possessed this 'Dilli-Dil'. It could be only a matter of minutes before two complete strangers turn into friends in Delhi.


5 comments:

  1. bhai tod article likha h tune to bilkul writers ki tarah likha h tu to wrtiter hi ban ja sahi me maja aa gya.......great

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not very particular with the geography of India, but was the setting for the movie "Slam Dog Millionaire" in Deli... or was it in Mumbai? Well, it would be wrong to make an image of a city just based on a movie, and especially the movie was about the outskirts of the city; but anyways, I thought that it is still wrong to ride on a stranger's car. Did you forget that you're not in Japan anymore? haha

    So uh, you want me to comment on your writing?haha It wouldn't be appropriate for a novice in writing like me would comment to other people's piece, but generally speaking as a wide reader of English newspaper, haha, I think your writing is good. But if you wanted to depict Delhi as a place where you can make a lot of friends, a place for happy ending, I think you should've written more of its positive aspects. The child who looked "delinquent" and the driver who quarreled with the customer were still left a strong impression to me after reading your essay. To summarize what I mean, reading your essay didn't really make me think that I can go to Delhi safe and sound which is what you really wanted to convey...wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Gen Slumdog Millionaire was based on Mumbai..and you are right because...the movie depicts only one aspect of Mumbai.. The idea of Mumbai is much diverse than of Delhi.

    I don't know if i sounded jingoisti but i wasn't just trying to give the message the delhi is friendly. I was trying to portray the reality with out much 'cesnsoring'. If I show you only the good part, than you could par me with CCTV. I was trying to say that delhi is not the polite or safest of cities but the manner in which people talk to each other results in instant friendships. I mean they open up easily...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work Senpai. The article , in fact , gives a good image about how smooth it is to build good relations in a city like Delhi. In my view, it can ride away the fear that most people have about the dark face of the capital city. I like your style of writing, so I wish you could have included more instances and experiences so that the readers can really know the city through words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Alan Thanks da. I didnt have time to write about the full journey. I'll keep writing more articles..just enter your email there and subscribe.

    ReplyDelete